24 Hours in Amsterdam: An Itinerary

Things to do, places to see, food to eat, drink to drink… but not always a lot of time are we right? We’ve packed this blog full of our favourite things to do when you only have 24 hours in Amsterdam.

1. Sail around the city on a canal cruise | 1 Hour

Amsterdam is known as Venice of the North, and for very good reason! With over 100km (60miles) of canals in the city – it’s definitely a good place to start your trip. There’s countless options but we recommend a hop-on, hop-off boat tour in order to get some local history in and a few sites too! 

If you’ve a little more time and like pancakes – there’s a pancake boat tour (that takes around 2.5 hours)! It’s even got an ice cream buffet on board. Search for ‘Pannenkoekenboot Amsterdam’ to find out more or find their Tripadvisor reviews here.

Amsterdam Canal Cruise

2. Sip tasty Dutch liqueur from a tulip glass | 1 Hour (or all of the hours that they’re open depending on self control 😉) 

How could you spend all of the hours drinking liqueur I hear you ask? Well, Wynand Fockink produces over 70 Dutch Liqueurs and Genevers which all can be tasted in their beautiful 17th century tasting tavern. Its in the perfect location for exploring the city centre too, tucked away just off Dam Square! You can find all their info over on their site here.

Variety of jenever flavours on display at Wynand Fockink in Amsterdam

3. Grab some pancakes for lunch |1.5 Hours

Head over to MOAK for some of the tastiest pancakes and juciest juices. They have a super cool vibe that they describe as “mellow Urban featuring mostly throwback hip-hop”. They have one in the city centre and one in the west!

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by DamGoodVibes.com (@damgoodvibescom) on

4. Visit Begijnhof | 1 Hour

Free, picturesque, central, beautiful, cultural and full of history 📸! The Begijnhof is the only inner court in Amsterdam which was founded during the Middle Ages, and therefore lies within the Singel — the innermost canal of Amsterdam’s circular canal system. The Begijnhof is at medieval street level, which means a meter below the rest of the old city centre.

5. Visit Anne Frank Museum | 1.5 Hours 

Can’t stress this point enough – BOOK TICKETS ONLINE BEFORE YOU GO. The queues are always massive. 80% of tickets are released exactly two months in advance with the remaining 20% released on the day itself at 9am, you can find out everything you need to know about Anne Frank Museum tickets here.

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by DamGoodVibes (@damgoodvibescom) on

“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” – Anne Frank

6. Visit Amsterdam Noord  | 3 Hours 

It’s FREE to nip over to Noord on the ferry from Amsterdam Centraal, and makes for a lovely little trip. You can also reach Noord by bus if travel-by-water isn’t your thing. The Hangaar is a cool place to eat and there’s also the famous A’DAM lookout – home to Europe’s highest swing.

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by A’DAM LOOKOUT (@adamlookout) on

7. Re-fuel at Foodhallen | 2 Hours

Our favourite place to recommend, as everyone always loves it! It’s perfect for a large bunch of people as it offers an array of foods from all over the world! Make sure to try some dutch Bitterballen at De Ballenbar whilst you’re there.

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Foodhallen AMS & RDM (@foodhallen) on

8. Visit the (in)famous Red Light District | 1 Hour

You’ve probably heard about Amsterdam’s Red Light District (AKA De Wallen) and most of the stereotypes are true. What people don’t expect is the atmosphere isn’t seedy and uninviting – it’s full of tourists, parties and normal businesses too! It’s well worth a visit if in Amsterdam.

A canal in The Red Light District (De Wallen) At Night, Amsterdam
The Red Light District (De Wallen) At Night, Amsterdam

How much does 24 hours in Amsterdam Cost?

We’ve outlined what our recommended activities for 24 hours in Amsterdam would cost below. Please check vendor websites for latest prices.

ActivityPrice Per Adult
Canal Cruise€16.00
1 Jenever at Wynand Fockink€3.50
Pancakes at Moak€8.00 – €15.00
Begijnhof Free
Anne Frank House€10.50
A’DAM Lookout Entrance€12.50
A’DAM Over The Edge Swing€5.00
Foodhallen€10.00 – €20.00
Red Light DistrictFree
Total€65.00-€82.00

24 Hours in Amsterdam Map

3 thoughts on “24 Hours in Amsterdam: An Itinerary

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *