The official language of the Netherlands is Dutch, but the majority of those in Amsterdam speak English and are often fluent in one or two languages on top of that! It’s usually no problem to get by in Amsterdam without knowing a word of Dutch, but ya know… it’s nice to be polite and learn the basics.
So we’ve rounded up our essential Amsterdam phrases to keep up your sleeve when visiting Amsterdam!
- Hallo (haal-oh) = Hello
It’s worth noting that it’s also common for Dutch speakers to say hi, hey or hoi when greeting each other.
- Goedemorgen (khoo-duh-more-khen) = Good morning
- Goedemiddag (Goedemiddag) = Good Day
- Goedenavond (khoo-duh-nah-fohnt) = Good Evening
- Hoe gaat het? (hoo khat et) = How are you? (informal)
- Hoe gaat het met u? (hoo khat et meht ew) = How are you? (formal)
- Doei (doy ee) = Goodbye
- Tot ziens (toht zeens) = Bye/ See you later (figurative)
- Tot straks (toht straks) = See you later (same day)
- Tot zo (Toht zoh) = See you soon
- Goedenacht (khoo-duh-nahkht) = Good Night
- Dank je wel (dank ye vel) = Thank you
- Ja (yar) = Yes
- Nee (nay) = No
- Alsjeblieft (owl sjoo bleeft) = Please
- Pardon (par-dohn) – Pardon/ Excuse me
- Sorry (saw-ree) = I’m sorry / Excuse Me